Monday, January 30, 2017

365 Days of Defiance, Day 30: "I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit."

Continued from today's A Month of Celebrities in Comics: Jesse Custer is fired up by the words of stand-up comic Bill Hicks:



Panels from Preacher #31 (November 1997), script by Garth Ennis, pencils and inks by Steve Dillon, colors by Pamela Rambo, letters by Clem Robins

Lots of people take as Preacher's central tenant the off-quoted "You gotta be one of the good guys. 'Cause there's way to many of the bad." And it's a fine line, and one I'll even spotlight at some point in this feature. But for me the heart of Preacher, a series which takes its strength from the power of the word, is "a guy who tells the truth in this bullshit world, he's worth his weight in gold."


"Like many kids growing up on a steady diet of westerns I always wanted to be the cowboy hero that lone voice in the wilderness fighting corruption and evil wherever I found it, and standing for freedom, truth, and justice. And in my heart of hearts I still track the remnants of that dream wherever I go in my never ending ride into the setting sun." — Bill Hicks

No comments: