Monday, August 13, 2012

Let's all go to the movies!


Panel from Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight #162 (February 2003), script by John Arcudi; pencils, inks, and letters by Roger Langridge; colors by James Sinclair; color separations by Digital Chameleon


While I'm recovering from my hectic daily Olympic schedule (I made a mistake staying in Brighton and not at the Olympic village), I'll be bypassing my usual nightly posts. There will now be a slight pause while you say "Who cares?"*

However, you can coast on over to my pal DB's film blog, Unseen Films, to check out a review each night this week of all sortsa fun movies! (Caution: the words "These Romans are crazy!" may occur at some point this week.) To be fair, the posts are actually written by my best pal John, but I helped with the popcorn-makin'.

Tonight! A murder is committed in front of 35,000 people watching a football match in The Arsenal Stadium Mystery! Yes, it's a movie about British football (aka soccer) that co-stars actual members of the Arsenal team, the only F.A. club actually named after a tube stop.



It's a grand film for fans of classic British detective films, and Leslie Banks is top-notch as multiple-behatted Scotland Yard Inspector Anthony Slade hunting down a dangerous murderer of footballers. But if'n you ask me, the real mystery of the movie is what the heck is Gwen Stefani staring at in space for what seems like twenty minutes when she's informed there's been a murder?




*Thank you for letting me borrow rent that joke, Mister Benny.


4 comments:

Jon Jermey said...

Credit where credit is due: the film was based on a book (or possibly vice versa) by Leonard Gribble, aka Leo Grex.

Bully said...

JonJ: Yes indeed it is! I have to hunt down a copy. To their credit I see that Arsenal's website sells the book. Pretty classy!

Martin S said...

Sorry, Bully, but the tube station was named after the football team. If you look carefully at all those lovely old wall tiles, a section of them spell out the original name - Gillespie Road.

Bully said...

Martin, never assume that a little stuffed bull isn't just being silly!