Monday, July 20, 2009

Hey Kids! #!%@#$&ing Comics!

So, I'm reading my comics the other day, including the all ages imprint Marvel Adventures which features ultra-fun and not at all Dark versions of our favorite Marvel characters. Ah, Earth-20051, with your high-adventures stories, clever plot twists and humorous characterization, I think I love you most of all!

Marvel Adventures Super-Heroes #9


Of course all the Marvel Adventures books are completely appropriate for a little stuffed bull to read. (Why, they even keep them at bull's-height reach over at Bergen Street Comics so I don't have to ask Tom or Amy to borrow a stool or to boost me up!) See, it says so right on the cover:

All Ages


Yup, there ain't nothin' on that cover that suggest this is a comic book I shouldn't be reading, not a trace at all that this book is age-inappropriate for a six-year-old little st...

UPC box


In the words of the late great Marvel humor mag...What Th--?! This book is labelled Ultimates? Why, I'm not 'llowed to read that book at all what with the sex and the violence and the swearing and the Wasp-eating and the nasty Jarvis and the...golly. Golly.

Huh. Well, I guess that explains this panel in the book:

Marvel Adventures Doctor Strange


Okay, okay, I Photoshopped the last panel...but everything before it is real! It really does say "Ultimates" on the UPC box of Marvel Adventures Super-Heroes #9! Whoopsie!


3 comments:

Servo said...

Cute Observation.

Bravo for the alt-text on this one, Bully!

Anonymous said...

I don't think that's the only time they made that goof. Maybe they thought they could convince readers who are turned off by "kiddie" (more like Totally Bloody AWESOME!) comics.

MA:SH remains the closest thing to Doctor Strange comics I own. I love the Spidey team-up story if only for how Doc is depicted.

Unknown said...

Maybe they're tacitly acknowledging that Marvel Adventures are what the Ultimates SHOULD have been?