Sunday, January 06, 2008

Mad Movies with the L.A. Connection presents Sherlock Holmes and the Secret Weapon (Sherlock Holmes Weekend Continues!)

Sherlock Holmes and the Secret WeaponOne of my favorite TV series that's never been released on DVD (yet!...we can but hope) is the 1980s Mad Movies with the L.A. Connection. Before Mystery Science Theater 3000 added heckled riffing over the soundtrack of a cheesy movie, Mad Movies, originating from an improv group in Los Angeles, took old public domain movie, chopped them up and re-edited them into a half-hour show, and re-dubbed them completely with a new comedy soundtrack. The show ran in syndication and on Nick at Nite for several years in the eighties—I'm lucky enough to still have my much-watched VHS tapes of the show...but it hasn't been seen publicly for ages. Until the age of YouTube, that is! All hail YouTube!

Tonight, get in the mad moodvie by watching their version of 1943's Sherlock Holmes and the Secret Weapon, one of the many Universal Basil Rathbone/Nigel Bruce Holmes vehicles that brought the Victorian sleuth to contemporary times to battle Nazis. (Well, somebody's gotta.) Mad Movies re-spins the film as Holmes's search for missing library books. Let's watch!



(A fair warning: the host segments and introductions with Kent Skov are usually...to be honest...absolutely missable. If you want to start right off with the movie portion of the show, start at 2:00 into the YouTube clip.)

That's Part 1. Here's Part 2 and here's Part 3.

Today's 21st century L.A. Connection still features live stage shows with improv, stand-up and the modern version of Mad Movies: "Dub-A-Vision." Plus, there's other classic Mad Movies clips and shows on YouTube. Only a few of them are Sherlock Holmes Weekend-appropriate, of course, but don't let that stop you.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You rock man. I have already watched it on youtube! And I want to thank you for that privilege. I have been searching for Zorro's fighting legion for years myself. Where Zorro was a consumer vigilante.

spyder124 said...

I recently converted my 20 year old Mad Movies VHS tapes to DVD. According to the online epsiode list I found, I have them all except "Cinderella". Quality varies, but they are all watchable. If you are still interested, let me know how to contact you offline.

Cooper Wright said...

Um, can you send my email along to that Spyder124 guy? I'm trying to get some copies to give to my mother for her 65th birthday. It was her favorite show! (Coopsdeloops (AT) gmail (DOT) com