Wednesday, December 20, 2006

I'm Bully, Fly Me!


Hooray! Hooray! Hooray! My bags are packed and ready to go...to London! Yes, Bully-boosters, this little stuffed bull is on his way to the UK for the holiday (hey, that all kinda rhymed!). Oh yes, John and Marshall are coming too. As I think I have said before, London is my favorite place in the world, and I am very much looking forward to spending Christmas in the city that rocks, the city that never stops...wait a minute, that's a totally different place. Never mind! Anyway, I will be off very soon to the home of Sherlock Holmes and Paddington Bear, James Bond and Brian Braddock, and I'm thrilled as a newt and can barely keep still in my plastic airport lounge waiting chair.

While I am over there, I hope to attend some meetings at The BBC (The British Bull Corporation) so of course I'm very excited to get on the plane. Although I could have travelled just as easily and a lot more cheaply via FedEx, instead promotional consideration and travel is provided by the sassy and spirited Fresh! Airlines, whom I'm flying over to London's swingin' Heathrow Airport. The flight attendants in the waiting lounge are all very pretty, young and saucy, and I am sure there are some shenanigans going on behind the scenes that I'm neither aware or nor would understand, but as long as I am suitably provided with enough complimentary Schweppes Ginger Ale on board I don't mind at all if they are making kissy noises behind the partition. I am of course also looking forward to the in-flight movie. Sometimes you can't see the screen very well when you're riding in the overhead baggage compartment, but I consider this an interesting challenge, and sure hope that nobody minds me hanging out of the compartment overhead, munching on delicious, delicious Corn Nuts and cheering on the movie.

As I often am while travelling, I find the duty-free shops very intriguing and fascinating. I have been wandering up and down the one here at the airport staring up at the many wonderful goods, especially, as usual, the giant Toblerone bar. They seem to have gotten even bigger than usual: as large as a small telephone booth, it seems to me. I am watching my pounds and pence quite carefully though so I have plenty of Christmas shopping money in London, and it seems a shame to splurge now, so I have sadly turned my back on enough chocolate to feed a small army of rats and returned to the waiting lounge, where Poppy the flight attendant seems to have lost her skirt. Perhaps I will go and help her look for it. Oh, she doesn't seem to be very interested in looking for it at all.

Captain Croker, our crusty but friendly pilot, has just walked by, so it must be getting time to board very soon, so I should be going: Marshall needs help picking up all the pieces of Travel Monopoly, and I promised I would help her. But very swiftly, what does this mean for you, the Reader of Comics Oughta Be Fun? Well, for the next ten days you'll get a chance to read my London travelogue and see my London photos, experiencing the city by the Thames through the shiny button eyes of an American stuffed bull. If you only come here for the comics commentary there will still be a little content for ya: on my itinerary are planned visits to the Comics Museum, Gosh!, Forbidden Planet, and Magma, as well as possibly some art-related musings as I wander through many fancy museums. But my blog will definitely be all London and more than just comics until the end of the year, and although I'm not gonna rename it, you may feel free to unofficially call it London Oughta Be Fun! And it is...it is!

Cheers!


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's fortunate you love London and Sherlock Holmes so much Bully...because if the weather continues as it has been for the last couple of days you'll find a 'Pea Souper' waiting to greet you.

Anonymous said...

Bully, have a wonderful time in London. Looking forward to your cross-the-pond report.

Anonymous said...

Bully,

Enjoy! Have a great time.

Take it and run.

SallyP said...

I envy you enormously! Be careful going through Airport security, but have a marvelous time! I hear that you can ride the underground for about $8 a day, which isn't too bad.

David C said...

I wonder if they have tunnel pigs in London?

Anonymous said...

Don't forget, Bully--Monday at 7pm, the Doctor Who Christmas Special! You lucky bull, you get to see it on a TV and not a computer screen! :-)

Anonymous said...

Do they have tunnel pigs in London?
Yup - and every other city with tunnels has them too.
Tunnel Pigs actually exist.

Bill D. said...

Since they're relatively close together, you should go to Gosh! and the British Museum on the same day. It makes for an amazing afternoon.

Enjoy the trip, Bully!

Bully said...

you'll find a 'Pea Souper' waiting to greet you.

Oh my oh my, it absolutely is! I've been to London many many times and have never seen it as foggy as it is today. I'm told British Airways has closed all flights tomorrow because of it, so I'm lucky I got in when I did.

Do they have tunnel pigs in London?

I believe they do! But I think they call them "Tube Porkers" over here. I'll keep my eye out for them. I am looking forward to meeting the yellow ones that run in circles.

you should go to Gosh! and the British Museum on the same day

Absolutely! The Cartoon Museum is right around the corner, too, plus an amazing board game shop. It's a great area. The Cartoon Museum closes for the season after Friday, so I'm heading off to Bloomsbury tomorrow to do all that.

Monday at 7pm, the Doctor Who Christmas Special

Absolutely! I've already picked up and doubled-checked this week's Radio Times (which includes a free Doctor Who audio CD, whee!) to make sure. Rumor (or is that "rumour") says that this is one of my favorite characters' final episode. Oh dear!