Saturday, October 07, 2006

24 Hour Comics Reviewing Day, Hour Four: She-Hulk #12

She-Hulk #12SHE-HULK #12: This comic is fun. She-Hulk continues to be one of my favorite monthly Marvel Universe comics: it not only provides me with my minimum monthly requirement of the pure, undiluted fresh-squeezed "fun" that I'm always talkin' about, but it's one of the best celebrations of the history, diversity, and possibilities inherent in the various characters and eras of the Marvel Universe. Even the covers have vastly improved over the past several months: while I still wince a little when I see Greg Horn's kinda-rubbery-slick She-Hulk, at least the pin-up covers have been replaced by slightly more representative images. And hey, Mister Horn, I'll give you this: the clothing actually looks like it "works" on this cover! That said, this issue picks up on several of the cosmic threads from earlier in this run, which isn't my favorite focus of this book: I prefer the concept of Jen on Earth, interacting with heroes and villains of Marvel-New York wandering through her law offices. The cosmic storylines that rounded off the last several issues of Volume One actually lost me for a while, so while I'm interested to see where Slott is going with the Starfox trial storyline, I'm hoping it wraps up in an issue or two so we can get back to Earth. And since I always appreciate a nice book-ending twist, there's a dandy of a revelation about the origin of Thanos that plunks down in front of us on the very last page: the kind of aspect of a fun comic that makes me say "I gotta read the next issue!" But I sure do hope we're not in for six months of Jen in Space.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

the trial of starfox ends next issue,
then issue 14 will be about awesome andy and 15 will start the "planet without a hulk" arc.