Sunday, October 08, 2006

24 Hour Comics Reviewing Day, Hour Twenty-One: Sock Monkey: The "Inches" Incident #1

Sock Monkey #1SOCK MONKEY: THE "INCHES" INCIDENT #1: This comic is fun. The adventures of stuffed animals on the high seas? Sign me up for that! Tony Millionaire's fantastic, surreal and moody yet whimsical creations return for another very welcome miniseries pitting the all-ages friendly versions of his Maakies characters against their evil nemesis: the wicked, wicked Inches the Doll! (Bull-lieve me, I know a thing or two about a thing or two, but I especially know what it is like to have an evil doll as your archenemy!) Nobody captures seafaring adventure quite like Tony Millionaire, and his exquisitely detailed and crosshatched artwork gives a lovely retro Johnny Gruelle or John R. Neill feel to the dynamic artwork. And I learnt what a "delphinus" was, too...so it's educational as well as entertaining! Finally, I happen to know Tony Millionaire is a man of exquisite taste: he likes Patrick O'Brian! So, if you're lookin' for a pull quote from a little stuff bull, how about: For the best entertainment value in comics today, you don't need to be a millionaire, you just need to buy one of his comics! (Haw!) And as the sun comes up and I crack open another thing of candy beans, I do hereby declare that SOCK MONKEY #1 is the most fun comic of the week!



No comments: