Sunday, October 08, 2006

24 Hour Comics Reviewing Day, Hour Seventeen: The Irredeemable Ant-Man #1

Ant-Man #1THE IRREDEEMABLE ANT-MAN #1: This comic is sorta fun. I'm not especially a big Robert Kirkman fan at all, but I do like Phil Hester's artwork and I do really like the concept if not always the execution of Ant-Man, so I did have to try this new miniseries out, tho' 'm not certain if I'll be pickin' up number 2. The concept's clever enough: grunt level S.H.I.E.L.D.* personnel discover Hank Pym's new, and slightly silly-lookin' Ant-Man costume, and many hijinks ensure. The execution's a bit slow and stilted though; it takes a loooooong time to get to that point, although there's a welcome action sequence at the beginning of the story. I did at least feel I got my money's worthy with this book because it's the exact opposite of decompression: dense and packed with dialogue and panels. It just didn't capture my interest and imagination enough to warrant a second look, however, and the basic concept's been done better with Kevin Rubio's Tag and Bink series.

(*Strategic Hazard Intervention Espionage and Logistics Directorate)


1 comment:

Evan Waters said...

Honestly, I think this should be supported because, with SHE HULK set to take a more "serious" turn in months ahead, it'll be the only in-continuity funny superhero book being published by EITHER of the big two.