Friday, June 30, 2006

My Superman Returns review

Today I went to see Superman Returns, and after scurrying through the legs of the crowds of people to get to my theatre in the massive and confusing AMC Empire 25 Cineplex, I was so excited to settle into my seat in my giant bucket of popcorn and await that familar red and blue logo appearing on the screen. I know all of you have been eagerly waiting to hear what a little stuffed bull has to say about the superhero spectacular of the summer. Well, to be honest, it was pretty good but not as fantastic as I had imagined it would be. The dialogue was indeed sparkling and witty and I found myself laughing out loud several times at the antics of professional journalists. Anne Hathaway was especially cute and made an ideal Lois Lane, and while Meryl Streep is not my first choice for Lex Luthor, she had the proper amount of menace and gave off a scary evil vibe of control and obsession that is not only reminiscent of Gene Hackman, is actually is more stylish. I admit to being disappointed that she refused to shave her head for the role, however.

Where I was disappointed was in the lack of many of the elements I thought would be carried over from the original film and the startling updates. Instead of working for the Daily Planet, Lois appeared to be working for a fashion magazine in this new Superman movie, and Perry White was nowhere to be seen. It was a bit odd to see Lex Luthor obsessed not with land grab scams or destroying Superman but instead Lex's major plot seems to be just badgering and bullying (excuse the phrase) the employees. Now that I think about it, you know, I didn't really hear John Williams's familiar Superman march theme blaring triumphantly, or spot any kryptonite, or...hmm...you know, I can't actually remember seeing Superman. Maybe he was moving too fast to be seen. It is an interesting and risky new tact to take for a Superman movie, but I guess these major directors know what they are doing. All I would have done different was...

Hey! Wait a minute!

(re-checks my ticket stub)

Curse you, AMC Empire 25 Cineplex!

No comments: